Friday, September 19, 2014

Friday Upgrade: I didn't want a dress, anyway!

 Ugh, this dress is so awesome. It's a great shape and it fits me perfectly, and the print is modern and funky and fun. Looks good, right?



It was one of my favorites, but then it betrayed me...


Yep, that's a massive rip in the back. I think it happened when I was in a mosh pit at the symphony.  It's alright, though. It's cool. See, I didn't really want a dress anyway. I already have cute dresses; this one was just cluttering my closet. What I really need is another cute skirt to clutter up my closet. So I decided to turn this great dress into an even better skirt, and somehow, it worked!


This was the easiest refashion EVER. I just used a seam ripper to remove the top from the bottom and cut the zipper short. It took me an entire twenty minutes to finish! But then I pulled the zipper pull off of the zipper and spent at least three hours trying to reattach it. I may have cried and I may have bloody fingertips right now, but it was totally worth it! Extra good news: the skirt looks even cuter in the wind! But then again, what doesn't?



I'm seriously bemused by how well this little project turned out. Sewing is a bit of a mystery to me. I wish there were books or video tutorials or something to help me learn more, but sadly, I'm just too impatient to acknowledge the existence of such things. I just have to jump in and try and pout a little when I fail. So, when something like this goes the way I think it should go, I'm left to ponder...why?



Pondering looks a lot like modeling. Cute necklace, right? 

For the curious: The dress was part of the Prabal Gurung for Target line a couple of years ago. It was a great dress while it lasted. My black and white heels are from Modcloth.com. My white tank is also from Target. The cardigan looks red in the photos but is more of an orange hue, and I found it at Old Navy. My necklace is a bunch of stars (!) and I regret not getting a better picture up. It came from H&M about two years ago. The fuschia wedges are Nine West, and yes, they are the very same shoes from yesterday's post. I've decided to make them my new everyday shoes. Winter is going to be awesome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment