Monday, September 29, 2014

Tattoos!

So, it has been brought to my attention that I have tattoos.



Well. I am appalled and bewildered! How did this happen? I tried scrubbing them off with soap and water, but that didn't work. It looks like I am stuck with this art on my arm! I suppose I should just learn to accept it, right?



It's okay, because honestly, I really love my tattoos. I even have others that aren't readily visible, that are just for me to enjoy. Tattoos are no rare thing; I know more people with ink than without, and it has become much more mainstream and acceptable than it once was. Even so, I get a lot of questions and concerns about my tattoos, which I'd like to address here. 

What is the meaning behind your tattoos?
Each of the tattoos on my arm have incredible significance! One of the tattoos has a map hidden within the linework that leads to an amazing treasure trunk filled with gold and rubies and iPods; the other tattoo contains the combination to the lock on that treasure trunk! Also, my address is in there somewhere, in case I get lost and need to be sent home.

Did it hurt?
It did. It still does. Sometimes, I wonder if it will ever stop hurting. Oh, wait, that's something else I'm thinking of. Nevermind.

Aren't tattoos really expensive?
They can be, but not if you know how to find a bargain! I got my work done by a random stranger who was hanging out next to a dumpster behind a bar. I gave him ten bucks and a permanent marker, and voila! Body art for cheap! 

What will you do when you get old and your skin starts to sag and it doesn't look as good?
I'll probably go on a cruise, maybe take up bridge or knitting. 

How do you hide something like that?
Well, that is a tough one, but I've worked some things out! Sometimes, I just keep my bare arm forward. It can be awkward when navigating a crowd, but in a pinch, it works!


My hand can cover most of it, and if I look uncomfortable, most people won't ask about it:



I find that if I hold a guitar, people will assume that I'm a musician, and my tattoos suddenly make a lot more sense:


Long sleeves work, too, though they can be really hard to find and prohibitively expensive:




Don't you think you'll regret that someday?
No! No. Probably not. I don't think so. I mean...maybe not. No. Well, no one told me they would be permanent, and I did use the "eenie, meenie, miney, moe" method to choose them about ten minutes before getting them done, so I suppose the possibility of regret is pretty high. 

Ha! Of course I won't regret my tattoos! This was not a decision I made lightly. I spent years deliberating before making a final choice, and I'm very happy with the choices that I made.


I love the way my tattoos look and they make me feel like a badass, and when it comes to my body, my opinion is the only one that matters. And hey, that's the truth for everybody and every body: your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters! So get a tattoo if you want one or keep your body tattoo-free, it's all good! Unless you're a musician, then the tattoos are mandatory. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules. 

For the curious: So, I didn't pay a dumpster stranger to do my tattoos. They were actually done by Bill Lahr at Bill's Tattoo and More. The artwork is originally from Liz Clements, an artist in the UK. My black tank and my red hoodie are both from Target. The guitar belongs to my boyfriend, who left it behind when he moved to Missouri. I can't play at all, not even a little bit. :)











4 comments:

  1. I don't have any tattoos but will keep this in mind if I ever do. Also, I like your long sleeves idea but think it impractical in your tropical location! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, maybe I should have considered the sleeve problem before I got the tattoos? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother-in-law went on a cruise, plays bridge regularly, and is knitting this very moment. Too bad she doesn't have any tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky for your mother-in-law, tattoos are optional for everyone except musicians. Wait...is she a musician, too? ;)

    ReplyDelete