Friday, October 10, 2014

Friday Upgrade: Throw a jacket on it!

My younger sister is a little bit of a style genius. She always looks amazing, even with two small children running around and spare time being at a premium. When I went to visit her in England two years ago, she shared some of her fashion wisdom with me, and my favorite bit of advice was her simplest edict: throw a jacket on it. If you want to upgrade your look with practically no effort, just throw a jacket on it! It is amazing how well this works. Typically, when I'm running errands I keep it simple with jeans and a tee and ballet flats. It's not bad, but it's not great, either.



Now see what happens when I throw a jacket on it:




Check out the detail on the back of my blazer!

Much better! I look more polished, and my arms are significantly warmer. I wonder if this trick works for other outfits... How about a cute summery dress?







It's okay, but it's missing something. Plus, I'm freezing. I think I'll throw a jacket on it!





It really does make a big difference, doesn't it? I wonder if this one little thing can improve my most abhorrent fashion crime?



This is my lazy Sunday outfit, made for being lazy. It's definitely comfortable, and the shoes are pretty rad, but what am I to do when I need to take the garbage out? I can't let my neighbors see me like this, so...throw a jacket on it!



Yes! Lazy Sunday meets business executive! I think I'm onto something here. My sister really is a genius, right? :)

For the curious: My blazer is Laundry by Shelli Segal, bought from a consignment shop for a criminally low price. It has been the best purchase of my life so far; I highly recommend a black blazer for every wardrobe. It will change your life! The jeans are JCPenney brand and the purple v-neck tee is from Target. My black ballet flats are an unknown brand; the name has worn away completely, but I know I bought them from a DSW in Tampa, FL. The dress is from Primark in England two years ago, and the blue-green flats are Cole Haan, bought on super duper clearance. My MSU sweats were a gift, and they predate my daughter, who will be ten soon. I am ashamed, but not enough to get rid of them. The tee is from an amazing hip hop show I went to a year ago, and the sneakers are Adidas Sambas and were also a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment