Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween

For the past couple of weeks, I have been going back and forth on whether or not to go out tonight. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I normally go all-out on my costumes, like these:
Black and White Movie Star

Lichtenstein Comic Girl

Zombie with Fabulous Shoes

Okay, that last one wasn't from Halloween, but it was a wear-a-costume function, and I did put a lot of time and effort into it, so I'm including it. I usually come up with a relatively complicated idea for a costume two days before Halloween and find myself scrambling to get it together in time. The results are decent, but never quite up to my expectations, so I end up feeling stressed and disappointed. I also have a problem with people not "getting" my costume. The Lichtenstein comic girl may be a popular choice lately, but when I went out like that three years ago, I spent the entire night explaining it to people. Most people thought I was a small pox victim with a thought bubble.

Last year, I spent Halloween on my boyfriend's couch, feeling quite like death thanks to a mysterious illness. This year, I'm just not feeling Halloween. My boyfriend left a few days ago; he is in Ireland for a month, and I miss him. I'm broke and I'm tired and I'm feeling like I need a night at home, in my sweatpants. Maybe I'll watch some scary movies, just to implement some of the Halloween spirit. My kids will be coming by later to do some trick or treating. Their costumes are pretty cute; my daughter is going as Pippi Longstocking, and my son is going as a lamp.



I can't help but laugh whenever I look at this picture of my son dressed as a lamp! He declared his choice earlier this month, and I thought he was just kidding around, or that he'd change his mind, but nope, he wants to be a lamp. He pulls it off quite nicely, doesn't he? My daughter usually wants to be some variation of a princess or a fairy, but after seeing Pippi Longstocking for the first time, she decided she wanted to be her this year. I think I'll let them have Halloween this year, but next year, I vow to get back to my tendency to overdo everything, and get out there again. I have a lot of time to plan... :) Happy Halloween, everybody! 



2 comments:

  1. I remember your pop art girl. I loved it and not just because I'm an art major! My costume is mom/child wrangler with a cute little cocktail party hat. I may or may not have a cocktail in a flask ;-) Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tana! That was a fun costume. :) Any kind of wrangler is a great Halloween costume in my opinion, especially when there is a cute cocktail party hat! Bonus points for flasks, too! Happy Halloween! :D

    ReplyDelete