Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I would never wear that!

I have a confession: I care what other people think of my clothes. I can't form an opinion of my own without hearing the unfiltered sentiments of every person I know. I once thought that I liked ruffles, but luckily, a friend informed me that ruffles are stupid and lack purpose. To think: I would have worn ruffles if not for the generous heart of my honest friend! Can you imagine anything worse? If you see one of your friends wearing something she thinks is cute but really isn't, make sure you tell her. The world is a tough enough place without having to endure the bad fashion choices of those around us. Case in point, this awful abomination:




I put this outfit together to go to open mic night at a local bar, and I was so proud of it. I loved the colors and the layers, and it was comfortable, but still a step above my typical jeans and tee uniform. And those shoes...I love those shoes. This outfit made me feel confident and put-together, and dare I say it? Sexy. I got a lot of compliments, and I was almost fooled into thinking that I'd done well...until one of my friends showed up. 

She took one look at my outfit and started laughing. Big, full-body, teary-eyed laughter. "What are you WEARING?" she asked when she finally caught her breath. I stood there, dumbstruck. "Do you realize you're at a bar? In Montana? It's like you think you're in a big city! Look at those heels...why would you ever wear heels like that? And oh, your belt has hearts on it! HEARTS!" She took another long moment to laugh while I just stood there smiling, trying not to seem hurt. "You just look so girly! It's so bad. I would never wear something like that." 

That final statement made me realize that her reaction wasn't about my outfit; it was just a difference in taste. Sometimes, it's easy to mistake our personal preferences for fashion law. I have friends who wear things I would never wear, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't wear them. While I was upset because I don't like being laughed at like that, I knew there was nothing wrong with my clothes. I laughed with her and mentioned that a t-shirt dress is hardly too fancy for a bar. By the end of the night, she was trying on my heels and saying she'd like to dress up sometime.

The moral of this story is that fashion police suck. I think it's good practice not to say mean things about someone's clothes, especially if they are obviously thrilled with their look. What good does it do? A bad color combination never killed anyone. Ruffles may not have a purpose, but they are harmless. Don't let anyone else talk you out of feeling good about yourself, either. If you love how you feel in your dress, go ahead and love it. The only thing that matters in fashion is how the wearer feels. That's it. If a friend asks your opinion, by all means, be honest, but don't forget to be nice. No need to crush a friend or make yourself look like a jerk. We all know you aren't a jerk. You just would never wear something like that. And that's okay.  

For the curious: The t-shirt dress is from H&M two years ago, and I don't wear it alone with tights anymore because it has shrunk and is now too short for my taste. The heart belt is from Forever 21 three years ago. The grey cardigan is from TJ Maxx and says Audrey and Grace on the tag. It's not the cardigan I wore on that fateful night, as I wore that cardigan until it became dust on my shoulders. I like the grey one better, anyway. The shoes are Missoni for Target and can be seen in better detail here. 



4 comments:

  1. Can we also keep body and age shaming comments to ourselves? People should look the way that makes them feel happy/confident/sexy/pretty/handsome. Whether the rest of the world agrees should be of little concern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's always awkward when someone else says something about my body; I never know how to react, even if it's a compliment.

      Delete
  2. I think your outfit looks great - I guess the fashion police would be out to get me as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Guinivere! And there's no need to fear the fashion police; they have no real power! ;)

      Delete