Wednesday, October 15, 2014

She rocks socks in her stripy socks!

Today is a special day: My first baby is ten years old! We are in the double digits now, which is serious business. I am having some trouble wrapping my mind around the undeniable fact that I have a ten-year-old daughter. There's a regular tiny shock that comes each time my kids have their birthdays, the realization that time is passing by faster and faster and nothing is permanent. I knew when they were born that they wouldn't stay tiny babies forever, but I had no idea how rapid the changes would come, how much of a blur their childhoods would become. I also had no idea how fast my adulthood would fly by. I still have trouble remembering that I'm not in my twenties anymore, that I'm already halfway through my thirties. Time is weird.

In her ten years on this planet, my daughter has cultivated quite an amazing sense of style that makes me so proud! I always thought it would be great to have a daughter and to dress her however I wanted, but I lost that privilege when she turned three and insisted on choosing her own outfits. At first, she chose some doosies, but she has now reached expert status when it comes to dressing herself. Here are some of my all-time favorite outfits:








I love how fearless she is! She wears bright colors and mixes patterns and textures and isn't shy about layers. I hope she keeps that fearlessness, that her upcoming middle school and high school years don't push her into conformity. I also hope she gets back to allowing me to take pictures of her amazing outfits; all of these photos are a couple of years old, as she doesn't care much for having her photo taken these days. Her style is still much the same, though, and I love seeing what she puts together every day. Happy birthday to my stylish, smart, kind baby girl!

For the curious: Grandma tends to buy all the kid clothes around here; she loves shopping for her grandkids, and I love letting her do it! The rainbow striped Hello Kitty legwarmers, however, were a gift from me, purchased from a kiosk at a mall in Idaho. She wore them until she couldn't wear them anymore. I also bought the pink London hoodie for her while I was in England, and she still wears that. The glasses are not real, and she does not need them for her 20/20 eyesight, but dad and grandpa wear glasses, so she wanted to be like them. Cutest thing ever, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment