Wednesday, October 22, 2014

To theme or not to theme...

At one point in my life, my friends and I would have "theme nights" for when we went out: Each of us would wear an outfit that coincided with a chosen theme. We did pin-up themes and dress-up themes and "wear what you would never normally wear" themes. We confused the people around us (one time, we were asked if we were in theater), but man, those were some of the best nights of my life. I don't tend to go for themes in my regular clothing choices. I don't like to match my bag to my shoes or my shoes to my shirt or really anything to anything, but I do think about it sometimes. Problem is, I'm bad at it. I don't do things halfway, so if I'm doing a theme, I'm DOING A THEME. It would probably be something painful, like an all pink theme. No, not an all pink theme, but an ALL PINK THEME.




Even my lipstick is pink.
Sometimes I wonder if pink is my favorite color. It does seem to show up over and over and over. Honestly, the longer I look at the all pink outfit, the more I like it...acclimation can be a dangerous thing in fashion. Maybe I could do a theme outfit and just keep it simple? How about a black and white theme, heavy on the black?









That's an improvement! I don't think there's anything better than a graphic tee with a blazer, especially when the tee has a storm trooper on it. I don't know if I'd call this outfit a real theme, though. It's just a lot of black. Maybe I should just stick to my running theme so far, which is a "wear what you feel like wearing" theme. It works for me so far. :)

For the curious: I will be expanding on themes in the future, as I think they can be a great way to push boundaries. I once declared an entire summer the "summer of the leg" and forced myself to wear dresses and skirts nearly every day. It was an experience. :) The pink top is Jones New York and was purchased from 6pm.com, the jeans are from Target two years ago, and the shoes are Superga sneakers in Azalea, purchased from Shopbop.com. The awesome pixelated heart necklace was a birthday gift from my son, and the bag is Kipling, purchased from Ross about three years ago. My storm trooper tee is from Forever 21 two years ago. The blazer is Laundry by Shelli Segal, and the skirt is a cheerleading skirt. The shoes are Fioni, and they are deceptively comfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment