Monday, November 3, 2014

NaNoWriMo!

Well, it is November once again. That means it's time for NaNoWriMo, which means it's time for me to do a lot of terrible, terrible writing. For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, and it's a challenge to write a novel, or 50,000 words, in one month. You can set up a profile and keep track of your word count at the NaNoWriMo website, and if you complete the challenge (we call it winning), you can download all kinds of cool swag, like a certificate you can print and a banner you can use for your Facebook page to show all your friends that you won. It's a bit of a big deal. I won last year, after writing about 40,000 of the 50,000 words in the final three days of the challenge, long after I had decided that writing is stupid and I wasn't going to finish the damn thing, anyway. My novel was awful, deplorable, even. It was full of plot holes and poorly developed characters and it was raining cats and dogs with cliches (see what I did there?) but none of that matters, because the point of NaNoWriMo is not to write well, but to write. Period. And write, I did. And write, I will. I mean, I am...writing another NaNoWriMo novel. You know what I mean, right? So far, I'm at 6,181 words, so I'm ahead of the daily average to finish on time, and I have no doubt I'll be completing the challenge this year. I think I might even finish early, and use the rest of the month to not shave, like all the guys are doing for November. Or, maybe I'll just keep on writing. It's so glamorous, a perfect opportunity to model:





Yeah. We'll just see how this goes. I moved my office off the couch and to my desk, which should help things. And of course, I have Wonder Woman to guide me, so I can't possibly go wrong. Just please don't ask me what my novel is about. I honestly don't know what it's about, even 6,181 words into the thing. Let me assure you this: There are people, and stuff happens to them. It will be a riot. A tremendous, embarrassing, 50,000 word riot. I can't wait to finish it. :)

For the curious: That hoodie is old, old old, from Old Navy. It was a Christmas gift from well over a decade ago, and it is lined with fake fur and it is the most incredible hoodie ever made. I think it helps me write. My billboard is filled with encouragements from my kids, including a picture my daughter drew of a plane over a bunch of clouds with a rainbow. It says, "Follow your dreams" and all the clouds have "Mom" written in them. It's amazing. My kids also love to write messages for me on the dry erase board. Right now, it says "Your the best" with two little hearts. I have the best kids. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment