Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Random Tuesday: The Birthday Dance.

Like most restaurants, the place where I work offers a complimentary dessert for birthdays and anniversaries. Also like most restaurants, the dessert is tiny and simple, but hey, free is free, right? Unlike most restaurants, the servers do not sing any kind of happy birthday ditty to the recipient of the free dessert. There is no clapping or chanting or rapping or anything at all; we are supposed to just light the candle, put the dessert down, wish whomever a happy whatever, and walk away. Somehow, being the kind of person I am, I changed the rules a little bit. I brought a woman a birthday dessert for her 92nd birthday, and she asked if I would sing to her. When I told her that we do not sing, she looked disappointed, so I immediately said, "But I could do a dance for you." It was her 92nd birthday, what else was I supposed to do? So I made up a little dance with jazz hands and a little bit of the Charleston and some wild facial expressions, and it was a hit. The woman told me I really made her birthday special, and that made me feel incredible. So, the birthday dance began, and it has become my signature at work. People come in and ask about it; others bring their friends so they can see the birthday dance. It's very popular, and I enjoy doing it. Here's a little video clip of it, if you're curious.



video

Sometimes, I get a little more extravagant with the dance, especially if it's Saturday (I'm the only server, so I don't have to worry about a coworker seeing and giving me a hard time about it) or if the restaurant is mostly empty, if it's for a regular (I love our regulars), or if it's for a really important birthday, like anything above 70. Ok, most of the time, I get pretty extravagant with it. Even when it's really busy, I make sure to take some time to make the birthdays special. Some people think I'm crazy for doing this, especially because it's not a job requirement, but I'm not crazy. I'm just delightful. I get asked all the time if I'm in theater...I do happen to participate in theater, but I wonder why anyone would assume that? 

For the curious: That video was taken by my boyfriend (Joe) while he was visiting. He had lunch at the restaurant, saw me walk past with a birthday cake, and started recording. You can't hear it on the video, but I go through an entire little routine to set up the dance. I talk about the importance of the birthday wish and remind them that if they wish for chocolate, they know beyond a doubt it will come true. This specific group came in a month or two ago, and I did the dance for them then. They came back for another friend's birthday just to see me, and I really couldn't tell them no, could I? 


No comments:

Post a Comment