Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Random Tuesday: Seester!


This is my sister, Jennifer. I'm the blonde with the huge mole. Funny, she was sitting right next to me but didn't bother to tell me about the mole... Anyway, my sister may be younger than me, but she has taught me some of the most important things I know, especially when it comes to style. 


See those amazing glasses she's wearing? They're vintage frames from the forties. When she first started wearing them, people didn't react well. People told her they didn't like the glasses, that they looked weird and made her look weird. Even her husband was honest and said he wasn't a big fan of the look. But she would just shrug and say, simply, "I like my glasses" and continue on with her life. Eventually, people became accustomed to seeing her in vintage cat-eye glasses. People started complimenting her. Her husband said they'd grown on him and he really liked them. They are now her signature.

It can be difficult to do something different from what you normally do. I think we all know the special hell that is stepping outside of your comfort zone for the first time, opening yourself up to criticism and judgement. I have always loved clothes and fashion, but I haven't always dressed like it. For years, I hid in over-sized jeans and sweatshirts and pulled my hair back because I didn't feel like I was good enough to dress like the women in the magazines I loved so much. It has taken me years of practice, but I finally feel confident in the way I dress. I do get some flak at times for over-dressing and showing up at a bar in a skirt and heels, but I just shrug and say, "I like my skirt and my heels" and go on with my life. It was really hard at first, but now the shrugging comes as easily as breathing. It looks a little like this:


Yep, I can honestly say that I owe my lady-like poise to my sister, who always inspires me and encourages me and usually dresses much better than me. She taught me that I am as good as those magazine models, that I do deserve to feel good about myself and whatever I choose to wear. She also taught me not to fear the Coach store in the mall, even though I couldn't afford anything in there. When I was hesitant to go into the store because I didn't "fit in," her exact paraphrased words were, "Pshaw, nobody buys anything from Coach, anyway; we have as much a right to be in there as anyone else does!" We then spent an entire three minutes looking at bags that neither of us really liked, and it was an exhilarating time. The sales person asked how I was doing, and I looked her straight in the eye and I said, "I'm good! How are you?" Yeah, take that! 

So, here's to the style inspirations in our lives, who teach us to give ourselves permission to go into the Coach store and to wear a skirt and heels to a small rock concert in a bar. I hope everyone has someone like my sister; it's definitely a nice bonus in life. 

For the curious: None of these photos were taken by me! The top two were taken by strangers wandering around London, and the bottom photo was taken by Tyson Habein and is not posed at all. Yes, that is me in my natural habitat, acting natural. My pink top is Jones New York, purchased from 6pm.com, my skirt is THE skirt that everyone asks about, bought from Eshakti.com. Best purchase ever. My glittery peep-toe heels are from Forever 21, bought online many years ago for a mere ten dollars. I wish I had a better view of them; they are ridiculously cute. 



No comments:

Post a Comment