Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I Heart Books! I Heart Some More than Others!

Remember a couple of weeks ago ago when I said that you can judge a book by its cover, even though you probably shouldn't? I was speaking about Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, a book I admittedly chose because of the cool cover art and not much else. 


Well, after having finished this book, allow me to correct myself: Never, ever, ever judge a book by its cover. Let me explain. This book wasn't bad. There are strange kids with cool powers, time travel, a little bit of history, some cool birds, a few monsters, and some incredible vintage photographs that make the book truly unique. I found it well-written and so entertaining that I flew threw it in just a few days. I liked it just fine, but I did find a couple of problems with it. 

I didn't realize this when I bought the book, but it is the first in a series that hasn't been completed yet. I don't like series. I don't like trilogies, either. I've read the entire Harry Potter series and the whole Hunger Games trilogy, and every few years I indulge in one of Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas books, but other than that, I stay away from them. Series remind me of those great shows on Netflix, the ones that turn you into a TV junkie until your fictional characters finally end up one place or another. My life stops when Netflix has new shows on Orange is the New Black. I don't eat, I don't sleep, I don't even change my underwear: all I do is sit on my butt and watch until there is nothing left to watch. I don't like being chained to anything, but especially not television shows or books, so series are definitely not my thing. Secondly, and I did know this when I bought the book, this is young adult fiction. I don't have any beef with the YA genre, but I have to admit, I am not a young adult, no matter how much I'd like to think I am. This book was not written for me, and I could feel that with every line. It was entertaining, but it was not challenging. It did not stick with me for days or weeks after I finished it. It did not make me look inward or make me think about anything new or profound. It was fun, and that was all. The ending is a big question mark with nothing resolved (you have to read the next book), but I find that I simply don't care enough to continue with it. If you have been thinking about reading it, I say go for it; I don't regret buying this book, and I will happily lend you my copy if you'd like. I have since moved on and am now more than halfway through The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, which I am reading for the third time. Some books get one read; others get three or more. It might not seem fair, but hey, I do what I want. 



No comments:

Post a Comment