Monday, January 5, 2015

I Heart Books!

Welcome to 2015, everybody! It looks and sounds and feels an awful lot like 2014, but trust me, it's different. There are movies and shows on Netflix that weren't there before! Christmas stuff is way on sale! Insurance deductibles are starting over! There's also this general post-party haze everywhere, which may or may not have to do with hangovers, but probably has more to do with the sparkling new feeling of 2015. We're all still optimistic and doing great on our resolutions and we have little doubt that 2015 is going to be an amazing year! At least, this is how I feel right now, and I will ride this good feeling for months.

I've mentioned before that I love making resolutions. I tend to keep my resolutions simple and realistic, rather than make an unending list of things that need improvement in my life. If I focus on everything that could be better, I become overwhelmed and I start to feel inadequate and I get seriously bummed and apathetic. This year's main resolution is simply to read more fiction. I think I'll also do some re-reading this year; Joe has picked up my copy of The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and it makes me want to pick it up myself, even though I've already read it twice before. By the way, I don't think there's anything cooler than the sight of my boyfriend reading a great book. Dare I say that I find this...sexy?


This makes me want to read all my favorites again. I will definitely be diving back into The Poisonwood Bible after Joe is done with it, and I think I'll also have to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I've read it five or six times already), The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, and Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. In the meantime, I think I'll jump into something entirely new. My first novel of 2015 will be Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs.


I'm going to admit right away that the cover of this book has influenced my decision to read it. While you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, there's no law saying you can't. Who can resist a somewhat scary, ruffle-wearing, levitating little girl? Not me! This book is young adult, and since I'm a young(ish) adult, it's perfect for me! It's also full of haunting photographs much like the one on the cover, and I do love a book with pictures. It's about a boy named Jacob who discovers a deserted island with an abandoned orphanage and a collection of odd photographs of some peculiar children. He does some exploring and learns that there might have been a nefarious element to this odd little orphanage, and that these children might still be alive today. Ooooooeeeeoooo! It sounds like it could be creepy, and I'm totally okay with creepy books. I will post a review when I'm done reading it, and let you all know if it is, in fact, a creepy book. 

How about you? Do you have any reading resolutions for 2015? What will your first book of 2015 be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment