Monday, March 23, 2015

Goodbye Pixie!

I love having a pixie cut! It's easy and fun and I never have to worry about my hair getting into my lip gloss. That being said, it's time to grow it out! As much as I love the pixie, I think I love having some length to my hair even more. There is never a more special time in your life than when you're growing out a pixie cut. It seems like it should be the easiest thing in the world to just let your hair grow. You just don't cut it, right? That's one way to go about it, but then you have to deal with the horrid shagginess on the back of your neck. 



It might not look like much, but that little bit of shag drives me bonkers! It's difficult to control and just sticks up all over the place, and it tickles my neck in a bad way. I'm self-conscious about it and I'm constantly reaching up to smooth it down. Then there's the stuff over my ears, which is barely long enough to be tucked back, and only with the help of rubber cement or duct tape.


It turns out that you don't have to go through the trauma of growing out a pixie alone! I was able to get some help from my awesome stylist who is going to help me get through this difficult time. She removed some of the bulk from the back without sacrificing too much length, and did a micro trim over my ears. 




This is much easier to deal with! Thankfully, my hair grows at a creepy fast rate, so I'm about two minutes away from having waist-length hair. It's a bit of a bittersweet thing for me. I've always wanted a pixie cut, and I'm glad I finally tried it, but I miss having longer hair. I never fully adjusted to my new reflection in the mirror, and I'm pretty sure that my hair is longer in my dreams. It's okay, though: the pixie and I had some great times! Here's a little farewell montage of my most daring haircut ever:









You treated me well, pixie cut; it has been a great four months with you. I'm sad to see you go, but not sad enough to keep you. Maybe one day we will meet again! Probably not, though. Sorry.

For the curious: The first three photos on this post were taken in my pajamas, which consist of a Barbie tee shirt I found at Old Navy at least five years ago and some kind of soft pants. In the photos after the haircut, I'm wearing my black wool Jennifer Lopez for Kohl's dress and a cardigan from Old Navy. I'm wearing the same dress in the first and last photos of the montage. I wear that dress a lot... You can find details for the montage photos hereherehereherehere, and here.




No comments:

Post a Comment