Monday, May 11, 2015

I'm getting better at this!

I made more things! I finished two projects on one day, and though they were simple projects, I am proud of myself. At this point in my sewing journey, I'm trying to get into the habit of always having a project going, and always finishing a project before moving on to another. I'm also trying to build some faith in myself and my ability to relearn all of this stuff, and I think the best way to do that is to start small with projects I can finish without getting frustrated. So, behold, more stuff I made: A pillowcase and another apron!












The pillowcase was a no-brainer, and it would have taken me maybe twenty minutes to make if I hadn't run into problems with my bobbin. I was sewing along like it was nobody's business, then BAM! Thread jam. I'm still not sure exactly what happened, but I was able to fix it somehow. I think the experience of trying to fix my sewing machine was so traumatic that I blocked it out of my memory. But hey, the only thing that really matters is that the project is finished, and now my daughter's massive body pillow has a decent pillowcase. 

Since the pillowcase was so quick and easy, I decided to go ahead and start the next project right away. Remember my first sewing project from a few weeks ago? It isn't terrible, but it isn't great, so I gave myself a do-over. This time, I slowed way down, which ironically made the entire process go faster, since I didn't have to go back and redo anything. It also helped that this fabric has some built-in lines that I could use as guides to make everything straight and crisp. This second apron is worlds better than my first apron; I'm actually proud of this one! I am so unembarrassed of the quality of my work on this apron that I would give it as a gift, if I weren't so selfish. I am totally keeping this thing and using it every day. Sorry, not sorry. 

I have to keep this apron because it is not just an apron. It is proof that I really can do this, and do this well. This apron has bolstered my confidence and has made me eager to learn more and to try more difficult projects. Next up, I will be making some simple envelope pillowcases for my throw pillows, just because they are awful and could use some pillowcases. I might really challenge myself and add some piping, because why not? Honestly, I am dying to jump into clothing construction, but I am fighting my own impatience and starting small and simple first. After the pillowcases are done, I might try an elastic waist skirt before graduating into more complicated things like buttons and zippers and finished seams. We'll just see how things go, eh? 

For the curious: I bought both of these fabrics online, simply because I'm so impatient that I would rather pay extra for shipping than stand in line for an hour at the local fabric store, where there are always no fewer than a million people waiting to have fabric cut. I am not ashamed. Both fabrics are 100% cotton from the sale section on fabricworm.com. My impatience ultimately got the best of me, though. It took almost two weeks for my fabric to arrive, and I had no idea when to expect it, since I didn't receive a shipping confirmation email until the day my order showed up in my mailbox. I got tired of waiting and ended up going to the fabric store, anyway. I have learned nothing from that experience and have ordered more fabric online for my next few projects. I am still not ashamed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment