Monday, August 3, 2015

The "Look, it's Makeup" Look!

As you probably already know, human beings can care about only one thing at a time. Some people care about social justice, others care about animal welfare, and still others care about politics. I am inherently selfish and apathetic, so what is the one thing I have chosen to care about these days? Makeup! That's right: I already have my one thing I care about, so don't try to get me to even glance in the direction of anything else. Don't tell me about what's happening in the rest of the world because I quite enjoy being distracted by the contents of my makeup bag, thankyouverymuch.

In all seriousness, I really have been paying more attention to my face and the stuff I put on it (and I promise I pay attention to other things, too). I have written blog posts about makeup before (find them herehere, and here), and though I have always liked makeup, it has never really been my thing. You know what will change that, and fast? Impossible hair, a tiny wardrobe, and a serious lack of funds. I tried to do some clothing shopping, but I gave up because I felt so utterly uninspired and unwilling to spend any money on anything. And I know my hair is probably not all that bad, but I am actively hating it right now. It's in that weird in-between stage where it's too long to be a pixie and too short to be a bob. Maybe I should call it a pob. The pob is taking a toll on my self-esteem, so I have had to go to extremes to feel pretty. 

Did it work? Am I pretty yet?
Okay, so that is not an accurate representation of my normal made-up face. I go about my daily life looking more like this:




Not bad, but not too incredible, either. I decided to try something new, so I took to YouTube and happily fell down a rabbit hole of makeup tutorials. Holy crap, there is some awesome stuff out there! Makeup is an art; that's why people who do makeup for a living are called makeup artists. Makeup is also a skill, and though I know a thing or two about a thing or two, I feel inclined to hurtle myself out of the old comfort zone. I started slow with some shimmery purples:



When I was applying this makeup, I felt like I was really laying it on thick and going super dramatic, but as the photos show, it's not extreme at all. I wanted some drama, so I kicked it up a few thousand notches and came up with this:




POW! I defy you to ignore my eye makeup!  This was a first for me, and it is admittedly not a great makeup job, but it's not bad. I just wanted to do something fun and completely out of the norm for me, and this yellow/pink/red/orange combo is just that. I usually get compliments on my lack of makeup, which is always funny to me because for one, it's odd to get a compliment for not doing something, and for two, my "lack of makeup" look involves as much makeup as my "look, it's makeup" look.  

I'm obviously wearing (poorly applied) false lashes and my winged liner could be thicker and straighter and winged-er and my blending leaves something to be desired, but you know what? I don't care! This was fun! I spent about twenty minutes on this look (I usually take five minutes, tops) and when I was done, I sat on my couch and watched scary movies by myself before taking the makeup off and going to bed. I did it for myself, to try it out, to play with color, and I loved it. I will be doing this again, and I will get better at it. I will leave my house like this one day, and I'm sure I will be told by some well-meaning person that I'm wearing too much makeup, and that will be an excellent night. What do you think? Is this way too much? Would you ever venture into this territory? Should I just get a Halloween mask and save some time? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

For the curious: I used a lot of different kinds of makeup for each of the photos in this post. For my every day look, I use my Too Faced Natural Eyes palette. The purples are Younique pigments that my mom sent me ages ago, and the last makeup look is all Wet n Wild, which is shockingly good stuff for the price. My lipsticks are all Wet n Wild. I didn't follow any specific tutorials for any of the looks in the post, even though I've spent so much time watching them. I decided to wing it this time because I'm impatient and didn't want to listen to directions. My favorite makeup channels on YouTube are Vintage or TackyNikkie Tutorials, and Kandee Johnson. These ladies are incredible at what they do and I highly recommend giving them a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment