Thursday, April 20, 2017

Find Me in the Trees

When I was a kid, I lived in a neighborhood with a small field in the center of it. On that field was a minuscule brick church with tiny, but impressive, stained glass windows. That church was bordered by a little patch of pine trees, about seven of them, seemingly huddled together against the endless sky. I was small, so I could crawl underneath the fanning pine branches and go to the protected spaces between the trees. It was roomy and quiet inside the cluster, and the dirt around the trunks was soft and littered with pine needles. I would lay a blanket on the ground and just sit there under the trees, hiding from the world. It was pretty magical...until the day a giant spider dropped into my hair from above. I don't mind spiders, but I prefer not to have them in my hair, so that ended my little forays into my magical forest.

I have a similar patch of trees behind my house now. It's only three trees, but they are large and full and positioned in such a way that creates a perfect little clear space in the middle. This place is usually occupied by screaming neighborhood kids (including my own), but today, it was perfectly empty. I had to take advantage.



Hanging out in the trees is great, but I need some sunshine!





I bought this pink sweater because it reminds me of a vintage top I stole from my mom when I was in high school. It was short sleeved, pink angora straight from the 1970's, and I wore it constantly. I even wore it in my senior portraits! This version is better because it fits me, it doesn't smell weird, and it has this amazing sweetheart neckline and cuffed sleeves. The pins are felted brooches, handmade by my talented sister, Jennifer. I've had them for years, and I reach for them constantly. For someone who isn't great with accessories, pins like these are a must.




And, of course, there's always the old standby, my favorite accessory of all, this vintage 1950's belt. It's another item I own as an homage to my mom's style; she had a belt a lot like this one back in the 80's, and I was obsessed with it. It was gone by the time I was old enough to start pilfering her things, but I never stopped thinking about it. Finding this one was like a little miracle. I just hope it will hold up forever.


I forgot all about these shoes during the months and months of ugly boot weather. I loved them when I first saw them and decided to buy them, then I kind of hated them for a while, but now I love them again. Fashion can be fickle; we'll see if it lasts. In the meantime, I'm loving the bow-but-not-really-a-bow thing these shoes have going on. I think they're pretty perfect for this outfit.

For the curious: My top is from my favorite local boutique, The Be a Siren Shoppe. I love this place so much, you will be seeing LOTS more from there. My skirt is Banana Republic, bought from ThredUp. My belt is from Roulette Vintage on Etsy. The gold glittery sunglasses are Kate Spade, and I have been told that they are ugly, but I don't care; I love them.  The shoes are from Modcloth, and my feet are freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment