Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Pattern Smash

I hate fashion rules. The only rules I abide by are that your clothes should fit you, and your clothes should make you happy. I wear black with brown, I never match anything to anything, and every chance I get, I smash patterns.




I don't know what to do with my hands!

Maybe I should have worn this blue checkered top with a neutral bottom, but why would I do that? The blue in the top is a perfect match for the blue in the skirt, and the simple, geometric pattern doesn't compete too much with the floral. It works so well, and I love it so much, it makes me want to barf with happiness. 


I've had this skirt for a few years now, and I love it, but I wouldn't wear it in cooler weather because of an awkward tights situation. Light colored skirts are tricky with tights; I wanted something neutral, but black seemed too harsh, white tights looked too much like my bare legs, and brighter colors weren't versatile enough. Eggplant purple seemed like a perfect solution: They're dark, but not as harsh as black, and they don't clash with the colors in the skirt.



With so much happening with my outfit, I decided to keep my shoes simple and unassuming. The black wedges play off the black squares on my shirt, which effectively brings the whole outfit together. I also had to add a little something extra with the felt brooches, just because I love them, and we all know that love goes well with everything. 

Platinum is also a neutral.

I am so happy with this entire look, I think I will repeat it in the future. I'm also looking forward to mashing more of my clothes in unexpected ways and pushing myself to be true to my sense of style. Even though I've always loved fashion, I'm still trying to figure out what my personal style is. I find inspiration all around me, and it has been fun pulling it into my wardrobe and surprising myself. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it really doesn't, but it's always good.

For the curious: My top is Anthropologie, bought second-hand from an Instagram shop last year. The skirt is from Oasis, a shop in a mall in England. My tights are fleece-lined, which should be the only tights I ever buy because they're like wearing kittens on your legs. They're Nicole Miller, and they came from Kmart, on clearance. My wedges are Chinese Laundry, also purchased from an Instagram shop.

2 comments:

  1. Pattern mixing mixing is my new fave love,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is anything better! ☺

    ReplyDelete