Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Jeans Ain't What They Used To Be

Red Converse Chucks, unrelated but, look! I almost got my millionth pair of the classic whites but then I realized every single person in the world is wearing the classic white ones because Hunter S. Thompson was a person who did things, etc., no judgement, me too. Moving on.

Have you noticed your blue jeans aren't lasting as long as they used to? I noticed the same thing. It all started in high school when I was wearing Silver Tab Levi Jeans. Remember those? That was almost 20 years ago. I can honestly say I have not worn a decent pair of jeans since. 

Those are suede Clark's chukka boots. Found them for like $20 or $30 at Ross I think? Clark invented the style, they look good with anything except for formal dress clothes and they last for at least a couple of years before they start to fall apart. Chukka boots. Look them up.

So after spending what seemed like thousands of dollars over 2 decades searching for a pair of durable blue jeans that did what they advertised they did, I decided to try and make my own pair of blue jeans!! Take the power back! Who is with me? 

Here is how they look with my Minnetonka slippers. Sorry, this doesn't really help you very much... I am still getting the hang of picture taking. You'll notice different shades of blue as I mess around with filters. Just imagine seeing these jeans in different lights and I am going to make believe I did it on purpose.

What I found out is that I would have to invest a huge amount of money, and time, learning an artisan trade to make my own denim jean. Sadly, I had to let that particular rabbit-hole, uh, be a rabbit hole? Whatever, dumb colloquialism anyway. (Yes, we all watch Archer.)

My local cobbler, Greg, dyed these chukkas from brown to black and outfitted them with no-slip tread! I prefer the weathered look they get as the dye starts to fade. 


I then researched if Levi still makes jeans that hearkened back to when Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis invented a riveted-for-strength work pant. They do. They are just a bit more expensive. I should have known, right? 501 Shrink-To-Fit. I decided to buy a pair because they are honestly cheaper than 75% of the jeans they sell at places that sell fashionable jeans. 


In all honesty, I can't even begin to scratch the surface of what goes into a good pair of quality, true denim blue jeans. This is going to have to be a reoccurring post! So that's kinda cool, right? Let me give you my first impressions: It was weird to buy jeans larger than my size and then shrink them using the "1 wash" method. It's weird that I haven't washed them for 2 months and control the smell by keeping them in the freezer. It's weird that it's going to get weirder.


While we are talking, this is where your pant legs are supposed to go down to. The top of the sole of the shoe. I know. They look a bit too long. But, it tells me that the circumference of the pant around my shoe will keep it from drooping down and being trampled while I walk. Or while doing even more rigorous activities, like Kung-Fu, or dances moves like the Angry Archer.
 


Look at that! The pants are still in place; I am free to practice the deadly arts. Afterwards I toss on a shirt and jacket to hit the town for some live music.


The right pair of jeans can make nearly any outfit work if you know how to coordinate a few shades of black. Just as long as everything fits. I am thinking about trying to shrink these jeans again to see if I can shorten them just a tad. But for now they work just fine. That's what we tell ourselves when we really want something to be fine. We say it. 


Oh what's this? Being invited on stage to play a few? No thanks. I really couldn't. I don't want people to think I am just here to toot my own horn. Modesty is a virtue my friends. Cheers!


Life is a journey. You can only bring so many pairs of jeans. 



No comments:

Post a Comment